Man We Food star Adam Richman says he almost died after contracting deadly MRSA from Rome’s mustache
- Man We Food host Adam Richman said he almost died of a mustache infection
- The famous eater said he contracted MRSA from facial hair follicles
- His face was swollen ‘like a banana’ due to illness, he needed surgery
Man We Food star Adam Richman has revealed that he had a fatal MRSA infection from the follicles of a whisker — and that he nearly died of the bug.
The 47-year-old famous diner said he noticed something was wrong at a Michelin event in Zurich in 2018.
He revealed that he noticed a pimple-like growth on his follicle that didn’t go away — and that his lip eventually puffed up like a banana.
Shock: Man We Food star Adam Richman suffered fatal MRSA infection from mustache follicles, required surgery and nearly died
He told the podcast Celebrity Catch Up: Life After That Thing I Did, ‘One of the follicles of my mustache looked like a pimple and it was not healing.
‘I went to a doctor and then finally my lip puffed up like a banana – it was weird. I remember I went to tear off a piece of medical tape and couldn’t put my teeth in place.’
The star had to go into quarantine and required surgery and a ‘severe course of antibiotics’ to help combat and overcome the infection.
Touch and go: 47-year-old needed surgery to deal with antibiotic-resistant infection and nearly died
‘I learned from maxillofacial surgeons that the area from the inside of your eyes to the outer corner of your lips, they call this the ‘danger triangle’ because there are many opportunities for superficial infections to go intracranially.’
It is still not known how the food lover caught the infection: ‘The doctor said it could be anything from a glass of water to a hotel towel, shaking one’s hand and then forever. [touching my face], There are many ways.
‘At this time, it never felt like ‘you’re going to die’ – it wasn’t something they presented, but it was always understood. I guess they didn’t want to scare me.’
What is MRSA?
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a type of bacteria that is resistant to many widely used antibiotics, making it particularly difficult to treat.
Catching the infection early can prevent it from spreading and infecting others.
About 30 percent of people carry Staphylococcus aureus bacteria in their nose, armpits, groin or buttocks without even knowing it.
It can invade the body’s bloodstream and release toxic toxins that kill a fifth of infected patients.
MRSA is usually associated with hospitals.
Starr said the incident inspired him to face his death and gave him a guiding principle: ‘Gratitude is attitude because fate, God, illness, a higher power of your choice can take it away just like that. Every day above the ground is a gift.’
After four years of overcoming the challenges of overeating, from downing a two-gallon sundae to eating a 190-pound burger, the Brooklyn native left the show that made a name for himself.
Concerned about his health and non-existent love life, he retired from the show, began a healthy eating plan and exercise regime, and quickly managed to lose 60lbs from his six-foot frame.
Leaves: Four years after taking on the challenges of overeating, the 47-year-old Brooklyn native quits the show that made a name for himself in 2018