Ricky Martin has spoken out for the first time since his nephew withdrew the lawsuit accusing him of sexual assault.
Yesterday (July 21), a judge struck down a temporary injunction against Martin after his accuser asked for the case to be dropped.
The singer’s 21-year-old nephew, Denis Yadil Sanchez, was previously granted a restraining order against Martin after accusing him of sexual abuse. According to Martin’s lawyers, Sanchez asked for the case to be dismissed in a Puerto Rican court today (July 21) and his request was binding.
“The accused confirmed that he was satisfied with his legal representation in the matter. The accuser asked for the case to be dismissed,” Martin’s lawyers said. “It was nothing but false allegations by a troubled person, absolutely nothing to prove them. We are glad that our client has served justice and can now move on with his life and his career.
The charges first surfaced on July 1 when a judge granted a restraining order against Martin under the Domestic Abuse Prevention and Intervention Act. Puerto Rican officials revealed that the Latin pop hitmaker was issued with a restraining order, which local sources have speculated was an administrative filing by a former partner. Martin continued to deny the allegations that led to the order, calling them “completely false”.
“The allegations against Ricky Martin that lead to a protection order are completely false and fabricated,” Martin’s representatives told Time. “We are confident that our client, Ricky Martin, will be fully justified when the true facts come out in this case.”
Now, Martin has spoken about the case, saying that it was “devastating for me, for my family, for my friends. I don’t wish that on anyone.”
“Truth prevails,” Martin wrote on Twitter yesterday (July 21) with an attached statement from his lawyers.
The statement began, “As we anticipated, the temporary protection order was not extended by the Court.” “The accused confirmed to the court that his decision to dismiss the case was his alone without any outside influence or coercion, and the accuser confirmed that he was satisfied with his legal representation in the case. On behalf of the accuser Requested to have the case dismissed. It was nothing more than a false allegation made by a troubled person with nothing to substantiate them. We are glad that our client has done justice and now lives and careers can proceed with.
Martin also shared a video with press outlets, saying: “The person who was claiming this bullshit, I wish him all the best and I want him to be helped, so that he can live with love and truth and happiness.” To start a new life, and he doesn’t hurt anyone else.”
He concluded: “Now, my priority is to heal. And, how do I recover? with music. I can’t wait to be back on stage.”
swipe right for english pic.twitter.com/4Q7UOHCi7e
— Ricky Martin (@ricky_martin) 21 July 2022
Ricky Martin is best known for his 1999 hits Livin’ La Vida Loca and She’s All I Ever Had, both of which appeared on his eponymous fifth (and first English language) studio album (self-titled).
His latest release was ‘Pausa EP’, which came out in May 2020 and is set to come up with another EP, ‘Play’ sometime this year.